Laps Led: 0
Driver Points: 16th
Owner Points: 17th
Rico Abreu Race Recap:
Rico Abreu, driver of the No. 98 Safelite/Curb Records Toyota Tundra, made his track debut in Saturday night’s NASCAR Camping World Truck Series (NCWTS) Speediatrics 200 at Iowa Speedway. Starting 14th, Abreu battled a “wrecking free” Toyota Tundra throughout the 200-lap event, and even recovered from a spin on lap 148, to finish 18th.
Crew chief Doug George brought the No. 98 Safelite Toyota Tundra to pit road under the races first three cautions at laps 44, 104, and 148, respectively, for four tires, fuel and major adjustments to the chassis in an effort to aid in a “wrecking loose” Toyota Tundra. At lap 148, the Sunoco Rookie of the Year contender would go for a spin in Turn 4, to avoid contact with fellow competitors, who brought out the third caution of the night. Unfortunately, trouble continued for the Rutherford, California native. Abreu was forced to bring his No. 98 machine to pit road, under the lap 178 caution, for overheating. Restarting 21st at lap 187, the ThorSport Racing driver was able to gain three positions in the final 13 laps, which also included a green-white-checker flag finish to cross the stripe 18th behind race winner, William Byron.
“This Safelite team really struggled – fighting free entry all night. We just couldn’t get a good balance during the race, from what we had in practice. We’re going to put this behind us, and move on to Gateway.”
News & Notes:
- The NASCAR Camping World Truck Series had two practice sessions on Friday afternoon in preparation for Saturday night’s Speediatrics 200 at Iowa Speedway. Abreu was seventh, and 23rd, respectively, in both sessions.
- Making his track debut at Iowa Speedway in the NCWTS, Abreu started 14th, battled a loose Toyota Tundra, and finished 18th.
- In eight starts in 2016, Abreu has led one lap en route to two top-10 finishes (Martinsville & Texas)
- In 10 career NCWTS starts Abreu has led one lap en route to two top-10 finishes
- Abreu’s ThorSport Racing teammates finished third (Hayley), fourth (Rhodes), and eighth (Crafton).
- Up Next: The Drivin’ for Linemen 200 at Gateway Motorsports Park on Saturday, June 25 at 8:30pm ET