Sounding Off – Grant Enfinger:
You’re making your Canadian Tire Motorsport Park debut this weekend, but you have some prior road course racing experience in the ARCA Series. Are you looking forward to the lone road course race on the 2017 schedule?
“I’m looking forward to the road course in Canada. I’ve never been to Canadian Tire (Motorsport Park) – I’ve run three road courses in my life, all at New Jersey Motorsports Park in the ARCA car, but I grew to really love it there. I think the driver will be the biggest factor this weekend – I’ll definitely have to be on my A game there. This weekend will be a little out of my comfort zone, but like I said, the road course races I’ve done in the past have been a lot of fun, so I’m really looking forward to it.”
How do you study or prepare to go to a road course for the first time?
“The biggest thing is watching a bunch of tape of past races there. We are fortunate that Toyota has a lot of resources we can lean on, so we try to utilize those guys as much as we possibly can, and just talking to guys. It will still be tough, the first laps out there, I won’t be able to give them any feedback. I feel like I’ll be leaning on my team to unload with the best piece they can give me, like we do every week, and we’ll do the best we can.”
Driver Point Standings: 7th
Owner Point Standings: 9th
Sunoco Rookie of the Year Contender
2017 Stage Wins: 0
2017 Stage Bonus Points: 66
2017 Playoff Points: 0
News & Notes:
- Chassis Chatter… The No. 98 ThorSport Racing (TSR) team will unload chassis No. 47 for Sunday’s NASCAR Camping World Truck Series (NCWTS) 250 at Canadian Tire Motorsport Park (CTMP). This is the same chassis former TSR driver, Johnny Sauter, piloted to a sixth-place finish at the 2.459-mile road course in 2015. This chassis was recently rebuilt following the 2016 season.
- Calling The Shots…Tracy Hines will serve as interim crew chief of the No. 98 Toyota Tundra at CTMP while crew chief Jeff Hensley is serving a two-week suspension after the No. 98 team was assessed a penalty following Michigan.
- Canada eh… Although Grant Enfinger will be making his 29th career NCWTS start, the TSR driver will make his track debut in the 64-lap event north of the border on Sunday.
- Road Course Starts…Enfinger has three starts on a road course in the ARCA Racing Series presented by Menards since 2011, at New Jersey Motorsports Park. Included in that stint is two top-five and three top-10 finishes.
- Off-Weekend Success… With a weekend away from his NCWTS duties, Enfinger opted for an ARCA Racing Series adventure at the Illinois State Fairgrounds, and turned it into a storybook ending. In the Allgaier Motorsports-prepared No.16 car, Enfinger fought off ARCA championship leader Austin Theriault, leading a race-high 51 laps, en route to win the Herr’s Potato Chips 100. The win marked Enfinger’s 16th career win in 94 ARCA Racing Series starts.
- Playoff Status… Enfinger has two races remaining on the 2017 NCWTS schedule to lock his No. 98 Champion Power Equipment Toyota Tundra into the first round of the Playoffs, which kicks-off at New Hampshire Motor Speedway in September. With the top-8 drivers moving on, the TSR driver is currently on the outside looking in. Enfinger is currently seventh in the NCWTS driver point standings, but seeded ninth in the Playoff standings, a mere nine points behind eighth-place, Ryan Truex, Jr.
- Rookie Stripe: Enfinger is currently leading the 2017 Sunoco Rookie of the Year standings after 14 of 23 races this season by seven points over second-place Chase Briscoe.
- Race Rewind – Bristol…. In his track debut at Bristol Motor Speedway, Enfinger started seventh, finished fifth in Stage 1, ninth in Stage 2, and fourth in the UNOH 200.
- Catch Grant at Canada…Enfinger, along with his ThorSport Racing teammates, will participate in the NCWTS autograph session on Saturday, September 2 from 2:00-2:45 p.m. ET under the tent in Paddock E at CTMP.
Enfinger’s 2017 NCWTS Stats:
- Starts: 13
- Wins: 0
- Poles: 0
- Laps Completed: 1858 of 1968 (94.4%)
- Laps Led: 23
- Top-5 Finishes: 5
- Top-10 Finishes: 8
- Best Start: 5th (Texas)
- Best Finish: 3rd (Dover & Texas)
Enfinger’s Career NCWTS stats:
- Starts: 27, since 2010
- First Start: Talladega (2010)
- First Full-time Season: 2017
- Poles: 1 (Daytona, 2016)
- Wins: 1 (Talladega, 2016)
- Top-5 Finishes: 7
- Top-10 Finishes: 13
- Laps Completed: 3,513
- Laps Led: 73
- Start: 12.2
- Finish: 12.2
Stage 1 – 20 laps (concludes at lap 20)
Stage 2 – 20 laps (concludes at lap 40)
Stage 3 – 24 laps (concludes at lap 64)
Date: Sunday, Sept. 3
Time: 2:30 p.m. ET on FOX Sports 1
Track: 2.459-mile road course
Distance: 64 laps/157.37 miles