Chatting with Cody Coughlin:
“I’m expecting track position will be very important Friday night in Texas, which also means qualifying will be very important on Friday afternoon. Practice on Thursday will also be very important, because I’ll kind of be learning a new race track again, with the recent repave. I like Texas, a lot, and I’m very interested to see how the track will be when I get to make my first laps on Thursday.”
News & Notes:
- Chassis Chatter… The No. 13 ThorSport Racing (TSR) team will unload chassis No. 51 for Friday night’s WinStarGamingOnline.com 400 at Texas Motor Speedway (TMS) in Fort Worth. This is the same chassis Coughlin piloted to a 16th-place finish last month at Charlotte (NC) Motor Speedway. Matt Crafton also piloted this particular chassis to victory lane at Kentucky Motor Speedway in Sparta (2015), after starting from the pole, and Homestead-Miami (Fl.) Speedway (2015).
- Texas-Sized Stats… Coughlin has two NASCAR Camping World Truck Series (NCWTS) starts to his credit at the 1.5-mile TMS. In two starts, the RIDE TV driver has a track-best start of 11th (2016-2), and a track-best finish of 12th (2016-1).
- RIDE TV Premier… Coughlin, and fellow teammate and RIDE TV driver, Grant Enfinger, recently traded in their firesuits for cowboy hats and visited Fort Worth, TX to film, “RIDE Presents: From Stock Cars to Stockyards.” The duo went go-kart racing with the Mayor (Betsy Price), participated in a cattle drive, had dinner at Horseshoe Hill and got custom cowboy hats made. They also learned how to ride a (mechanical) bull, lasso a stationary bull and perform the two-step before attending the rodeo at the Stockyards. Make sure to catch the show on RIDE TV Wednesday, June 7 at 7pm ET and Saturday, June 10 at 10am ET.
- Chasing Rookie of the Year… Coughlin, who finished 16th in the series’ last stop at Dover (Del.) International Speedway (DIS) is currently sixth in the 2017 Sunoco Rookie of the Year battle after six of 23 races.
- Truck Series Stats… Coughlin has made 18 NCWTS starts since 2015, with a career-best start of seventh at Talladega (Al.) Superspeedway (2016), and a career-best finish of 11th at Daytona (Fla.) International Speedway (DIS).
- Rearview Mirror – Dover… In his track debut at DIS, Coughlin started 17th, ran as high as third, and finished 16th in the 200-lap event.
- Catch Cody at Texas… Coughlin, along with his ThorSport Racing teammates will participate in the NCWTS autograph session on Friday, June 9 from 2:30-3:30pm ET at Gate 4 in the Fan Zone.
Driver Point Standings: 15th
Owner Point Standings: 20th
Sunoco Rookie of the Year Contender
- Stage 1 – 40 laps (concludes at lap 40)
- Stage 2 – 40 laps (concludes at lap 80)
- Stage 3 – 87 laps (concludes at lap 167)
Date: Friday, June 9
Time: 8:00pm ET on FOX Sports 1
Track: 1.5-mile oval
Distance: 167 Laps, 250.5 Miles