Ben Rhodes, driver of the No. 27 Safelite AutoGlass Toyota Tundra, made his second career start at Michigan International Speedway (MIS) in Saturday’s NASCAR Camping World Truck Series (NCWTS) LTi Printing 200. Starting 14th, the ThorSport Racing driver quickly worked his way into the top-10 early in Stage 1, finishing fourth, and maintained a top-five position at the conclusion of Stage 2, finishing fifth. Restarting ninth in the final Stage, following a four tire and fuel pit stop, the Safelite AutoGlass driver maintained a position inside the top-10, until the final 10 laps when he reported that his Tundra was, “really loose.” Rhodes would lose valuable track position in the closing laps, and settle for an 11th-place finish behind race winner, Darrell Wallace, Jr.
Laps Led: 0
Driver Points: 6th
Owner Points: 7th
2017 Stage Wins: 1
2017 Stage Bonus Points: 113
2017 Playoff Points: 1 (Kentucky)
“We had a fast Safelite Toyota Tundra all day. Unfortunately, the results don’t show for it because everybody was driving really crazy today. A lot of drivers that aren’t series regulars were making some risky moves, and taking advantage of the fact that a lot of drivers are still points racing. Its unfortunate, because of the position we’re in, we have to take care of our Safelite Tundra – more than a lot of other drivers. Which means, I can’t make a whole lot of crazy moves. We did the best with what we had. I definitely think we should have been up there, in the top-five for sure – competing for a win – but we got shuffled back on pit stops, and restarts. Every single time we were supposed to start on the high-side, our bad luck would get us again, and we restarted on the inside. Everyone that was fast got to start on the outside. Just part of the No. 27 teams curse, I guess.”
- The NCWTS had two practice sessions on Friday in preparation for Saturday’s LTi Printing 200 at MIS. Ben Rhodes was 10th, and sixth-quick, respectively, in both sessions.
- Starting from the 14th position, Rhodes finished fourth in Stage 1, fifth in Stage 2, and 11th in the LTi Printing 200 at MIS.
- In two starts at the 2-mile D-shaped oval, Rhodes has led four laps en route to one top-10 finish (2016).
- Playoff status… With the top-8 drivers moving on, the ThorSport Racing driver is currently in, on points. Rhodes is currently sixth in the NCWTS driver standings, but seeded eighth in the Playoff standings.
- In 13 starts this season, the ThorSport Racing driver has one pole (Pocono), and has led 121 laps en route to four top-five, and six top-10 finishes.
- In 40 career starts, Rhodes has two poles, and has led 176 laps en route to seven top-five, and 14 top-10 finishes.
- Rhodes’ ThorSport Racing teammates finished sixth (Crafton), eighth (Enfinger), and 21st (Coughlin).
- Up Next: The UNOH 200 at Bristol Motor Speedway on Wednesday, August 16 at 8:30 p.m. ET on FOX Sports 1