Chatting with Cody Coughlin:
“Charlotte was a track that I always thought looked tricky. After testing there I can say that it definitely is a bit tricky, but not as tricky as I initially thought it would be. I actually ended up enjoying the track by the end. That test certainly helped the team and I, and it gives us confidence that we will have a good showing.”
News & Notes:
- Chassis Chatter… The No. 13 ThorSport Racing (TSR) team will unload chassis No. 51 for Friday night’s NC Education Lottery 200 at Charlotte (NC) Motor Speedway (CMS). This is the same chassis teammate, Matt Crafton piloted to victory lane at Kentucky Motor Speedway in Sparta (2015), after starting from the pole, and Homestead-Miami (Fl.) Speedway (2015).
- Charlotte Shakedown… Coughlin will make his Charlotte (NC) Motor Speedway debut in Friday night’s NASCAR Camping World Truck Series (NCWTS) NC Education Lottery 200.
- Testing, 1, 2, 3, Testing… Coughlin and the No. 13 RIDE TV team participated in the NCWTS test at CMS on Tuesday, May 2. The ThorSport Racing driver posted the 12th-fastest time overall.
- Chasing Rookie of the Year… Coughlin, who finished 26th in the series last stop at Kansas Speedway in Kansas City, KS, is currently fifth in the 2017 Sunoco Rookie of the Year battle after four of 23 races.
- Truck Series Stats… Coughlin has made 16 NCWTS starts since 2015, with a career-best start of seventh at Talladega (Al.) Superspeedway (2016), and a career-best finish of 11th at Daytona (Fla.) International Speedway (2017).
- Rearview Mirror – Kansas… Making his second start at Kansas Speedway the Sunoco Rookie of the Year contender started 13th, ran as high as first, and finished 26th due to transmission issues early in the 167-lap event.
- Catch Cody in Charlotte… Coughlin, along with his ThorSport Racing teammates will participate in the NCWTS autograph session on Friday, May 19 from 3-3:45pm ET in the Whiskey River Hospitality area, under the Ford Grandstands at CMS.
Driver Point Standings: 14th
Owner Point Standings: 20th
Sunoco Rookie of the Year Contender
- Stage 1 – 40 laps (concludes at lap 40)
- Stage 2 – 40 laps (concludes at lap 80)
- Stage 3 – 54 laps (concludes at lap 134)
Date: Friday, May 19
Time: 8:30pm ET on FOX Sports 1
Distance: 134 Laps, 201 Miles