Laps Led: 0
2016 Driver Points: 12th
2016 Owner Points: 13th
Cameron Hayley Race Recap:
Cameron Hayley, driver of the No. 13 Cabinets by Hayley Toyota Tundra, started the rain-postponed NC Education Lottery 200 at Charlotte Motor Speedway from the 18th position, when qualifying was cancelled on Friday afternoon due to weather, and the field was set based on the rule book – Thursday evening’s practice times. Hayley showed strength in the first 15 laps, working his way inside the top-10 by lap 10 and scored seventh at lap 20. Fighting a loose Toyota Tundra, crew chief Eddie Troconis brought the No. 13 machine to pit road under the first caution at lap 24, for two tires, including an air pressure adjustment, and fuel. Unfortunately, problems on the right rear would cause Hayley to lose valuable track position, and restart from the 13th position on lap 28.
The sophomore driver developed a vibration on the second run, and continued to battle a loose Cabinets by Hayley Toyota Tundra, but maintained a position inside the top-10. When the caution clock expired on lap 68, Hayley brought his Tundra to pit road for the second time for four tires and fuel, but another problem on the right rear forced the ThorSport Racing driver to restart 15th. In the final 63 green-flag laps, Hayley reported that the handling on his Tundra went away, and he started to get tight, but still maintained a position inside the top-10. Unfortunately, fuel mileage played a part in the final 10 laps of the 134-lap event, and Hayley was forced to pit from the ninth position on lap 122 for fuel only under green. Rejoining the field in the 16th position, the Calgary, Alberta, Canada native was able to gain one position on the track before crossing the stripe in the 15th position behind teammate and race winner, Matt Crafton.
“We had another fast Toyota Tundra today. I was able to drive into the top-five twice, battling a loose handling condition, and lost it all on pit road. We just kept having trouble getting the right rear tire off on the pit stops. We will regroup, and head to Texas in a couple weeks. We are having some strong runs, just need to put it all together.”
News & Notes:
- Rain cancelled two of the three scheduled practice sessions on Thursday afternoon at Charlotte Motor Speedway (CMS) due to rain. Following the one-hour final practice session, Cameron Hayley, driver of the No. 13 Cabinets by Hayley Toyota Tundra, was 17th fastest of 36 trucks.
- Qualifying for the 14th annual NASCAR Camping World Truck Series (NCWTS) at CMS was cancelled on Friday afternoon due to weather. The 32-truck field was set based on the rule book – practice speeds – and Hayley rolled off from the 18th position for the 134-lap event.
- Making his second start at CMS, Hayley started 18th, ran as high as third, and finished 15th.
- In 2016, Hayley has led 21 laps en route to one top-five (Atlanta), and two top-10 finishes.
- In 32 career NCWTS starts, Hayley has led 99 laps en route to five top-five and 17 top-10 finishes.
- Hayley’s ThorSport Racing teammates finished first (Crafton), 17th (Rhodes), and 20th (Abreu)
- Up next: The Rattlesnake 400 on Friday, June 10 at Texas Motor Speedway