Crew Chief: Carl “Junior” Joiner
Engine: Triad Racing Technologies
2016 NCWTS Driver Point Standings: 1st
2016 NCWTS Owner Point Standings: 1st
Sounding Off – Matt Crafton:
Are you looking forward to getting back to Iowa this weekend?
“I did the very first Goodyear tire test there and literally the first run I made on the track, I said ‘this place races just like a mile and a half.’ I used to say it was very similar to Kentucky, we’ll say the old Kentucky race track, or the old Kansas race track. They didn’t have a bunch of banking and they raced very, very similar. I love going there, it’s a great race, I’ve won there, and we’ve been very good there in the past. I always look forward to it.”
News & Notes:
- Chassis Chatter… The No. 88 ThorSport Racing team will unload chassis No. 48 for Saturday’s Speediatrics 200 at Iowa Speedway. This is the same chassis Crafton took to victory lane earlier this season at Dover.
- Hawkeye State Stats… Crafton is one of three drivers entered in the 10th annual event who have competed in all nine races at Iowa Speedway. Among active series drivers, Crafton has completed the most laps (1817), has the most top-10 finishes (9), the most lead lap finishes (9), and the Best Average Finish (4.7) of any other driver entered.
- Chase Status… Crafton is currently first in the 2016 NCWTS driver point standings after seven races this season, with an 18-point lead over second-place Timothy Peters. As one of two drivers with two wins this season, the two-time NCWTS champion is all but guaranteed a spot in the eight driver chase which kicks off at New Hampshire Motor Speedway in Loudon on September 24.
- In The Loop – Iowa… According to NASCAR’s Loop Data statistics, Crafton ranks first in the following categories entering Saturday’s Speediatrics 200 at Iowa Speedway; Average Running Position (6.3), Driver Rating (107.6), and Laps in the Top 15 (1711),
- In The Loop – 2016… According to NASCAR’s Loop Data statistics, Crafton ranks first in the following categories; Average Running Position (5.48), Driver Rating (119.4), Fastest Drivers Late in a Run, Fastest Laps Run (194), Green Flag Speed, Laps in the Top-15 (1087), Laps Led (398), and Mile Leaders (565.54).
- Iowa Rewind – 2015 … The ThorSport Racing driver started ninth, led 33 laps, and finished fourth, due to pit strategy, in the 2015 NCWTS race at Iowa Speedway.
- Race Rewind – Texas… Crafton started fourth, recovered from a tire going down on lap 12, which sent him to the rear of the field for the lap 15 restart, and went on to lead 133 of the 167 scheduled laps en route to a second-place finish in the Rattlesnake 400 at Texas Motor Speedway.
- Major Milestone…The Tulare, California native extended the NCWTS record for consecutive starts to 368 in the Rattlesnake 400 at Texas Motor Speedway, passing four-time NCWTS champion Ron Hornaday, Jr with 360 starts in the 2015 NCWTS season finale at Homestead-Miami (Fla.) Speedway. Crafton made his series debut at Auto Club Speedway in November 2000, and enters his 16th full-time season in the NCWTS, and his 15th full-time season with ThorSport Racing in 2016.
Crafton’s Iowa Stats:
- 9 starts since 2009
- 1817 of 1817 laps completed (100%)
- 89 laps led
- Wins: 1 (2011)
- Top-5 Finishes: 5
- Top-10 Finishes: 9
- Best Start: 3rd (2009)
- Average start: 9.6
- Average finish: 4.7
Crafton’s 2016 NCWTS Stats:
- Starts: 7
- Wins: 2
- Top-5 Finishes: 4
- Top-10 Finishes: 6
- Poles: 1 (Atlanta)
- Laps Led: 394
- Laps Completed: 1137 of 1156 (98.4%)
- Start: 8.0
- Average Finish: 7.6
Crafton’s Career NCWTS Stats:
- Starts: 368 since 2000
- 13 wins
- 93 top-five finishes
- 216 top-10 finishes
- 12 poles
- 205 laps completed
- 2083 laps led
- Average start: 12.8
- Average finish: 11.4