Laps Led: 0
2016 Driver Points: 14th
2016 Owner Points: 15th
Rico Abreu Race Recap:
Rico Abreu, driver of the No. 98 Safelite Toyota Tundra, made his track debut at Chicagoland Speedway in Friday night’s American Ethanol E15 225. Starting 15th, the ThorSport Racing driver ran as high as fourth, but settled for a 19th-place finish, due to a tire issue late in the 150-lap event.
Starting from the 15th position, Abreu battled a loose Safelite Toyota Tundra early in the 8th annual event. Crew chief Doug George brought the No. 98 machine to pit road under caution at laps 47, 84, and 106, respectively, for four tires, fuel, and adjustments. Running consistently inside the top-15 through the first 50 laps of the event, Abreu was scored inside the top-10 by lap 75, and even cracked the top-five before coming to pit road late in the race for a scheduled stop under caution. A mix of pit strategies would force the ThorSport Racing driver to restart 17th on lap 109. Making his way back through traffic, Abreu was forced to pit road, under green, at lap 135 for a flat tire. As a result, Abreu would lose valuable ground to the race leaders, and settle for a 19th-place finish behind race winner, Kyle Busch.
News & Notes:
- The NASCAR Camping World Truck Series (NCWTS) had two practice sessions on Thursday in preparation for Friday night’s American Ethanol E15 225 at Chicagoland Speedway. Rico Abreu was 21st, and 14th, respectively, in both sessions.
- Making his track debut at Chicagoland Speedway in the NCWTS, Abreu qualified 15th, ran as high as fourth, and finished 19th, due to late-race tire issues on his Safelite Toyota Tundra.
- In 16 starts in 2016, Abreu has led one lap en route to one top-five (Eldora), and four top-10 finishes.
- In 18 career NCWTS starts, Abreu has led one lap en route to one top-five (Eldora), four top-10, and eight top-15 finishes.
- Abreu’s ThorSport Racing teammates finished third (Cameron Hayley), 25th (Ben Rhodes), and 27th (Matt Crafton).
- Up Next: The UNOH 175 at New Hampshire Motor Speedway on Saturday, September 24, 2016 at 1:00pm ET.