Laps Led: 0
2016 Driver Points: 10th
2016 Owner Points: 11th
Cameron Hayley Race Recap:
Cameron Hayley, driver of the No. 13 Cabinets by Hayley Toyota Tundra had a strong showing in Saturday night’s NASCAR Camping World Truck Series (NCWTS) Speediatrics 200 at Iowa Speedway. Showing speed in practice on Friday afternoon, Hayley, who was making his second start at the .875-mile track, backed up his performance in qualifying Saturday with a second-place starting position for the 200-lap event. The solid start was the sophomore driver’s best start in two races at Iowa Speedway, his best start of the 2016 season, and tied for his career-best start.
Starting on the front row, Hayley maintained a position inside the top-five through the first half of the 200-lap event, battling a tight Toyota Tundra. Dropping as low as seventh, just past the halfway mark, crew chief Eddie Troconis brought the No. 13 Toyota Tundra to pit road for the second time, under the lap 104 caution, for four tires, fuel, and a chassis adjustment to aid in the handling. Restarting fourth on lap 109, Hayley was able to maintain a position inside the top-five through the second-half of the event. Under the lap 148 caution, multiple teams elected to take two tires, but Troconis made the call for four. Hayley restarted fifth at lap 156, and maintained his position through the races final 44 laps, which included two cautions, and an eventual red flag. On the races final restart at lap 198, Hayley was able to pass ThorSport Racing teammate, Ben Rhodes, and crossed the stripe in the third position behind race winner, William Byron.
Hayley’s third-place result was his second top-five finish in eight starts in 2016, and his first top-five finish in two starts at Iowa Speedway.
A solid third-place finish for your ThorSport Racing team. Talk about your night.
“Our Tundra was really tight all night long, and at the end there, after that red flag, it just came to life. I’m super happy. I can’t thank Cabinets by Hayley enough and the whole community – Sandusky, Perkins, everybody. They got us out of the fire this week, and now we’re here in third place, it’s amazing. I wish we could’ve got him (Duke Thorson, team owner) the win. But, to come from where this team was on Monday, to where we are now, is just amazing, and I just want to thank everyone for that.”
What did your finish today mean for ThorSport Racing after all your team went through this week?
“Yeah, you know, obviously as everyone knows it’s been a tough week at ThorSport Racing, to say the least. I was a part of that first hand. I got the call about 5:30 Monday morning. I got there right away, and we probably spent upwards of 36 hours – both me and the team – cleaning the trucks, getting things ready, working out of a parking lot trying to get to this race, and to come out here with a third-place finish is not just amazing for me, but the organization as a whole. We really came together as a team.”
News & Notes:
- The NASCAR Camping World Truck Series had two practice sessions on Friday afternoon in preparation for Saturday night’s Speediatrics 200 at Iowa Speedway. Hayley was 10th, and second, respectively.
- Making his second start at Iowa Speedway in the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series (NCWTS), Hayley started second, ran consistently inside the top-five throughout the 200-lap event, and finished third.
- In 2016, Hayley has led 21 laps en route to two top-five (Atlanta & Iowa), and three top-10 finishes.
- In 34 career NCWTS starts, Hayley has led 99 laps en route to six top-five and 18 top-10 finishes.
- Hayley’s ThorSport Racing teammates finished fourth (Rhodes), eighth (Crafton), and 18th (Abreu).
- Up Next: The Drivin’ for Linemen 200 at Gateway Motorsports Park on Saturday, June 25 at 8:30pm ET