Laps Led: 0
2016 Driver Points: 13th
2016 Owner Points: 14th
Ben Rhodes Race Recap:
Ben Rhodes, driver of the No. 41 Carolina Nut Co. Toyota Tundra, made his track debut at New Hampshire Motor Speedway (NHMS) in Saturday’s NASCAR Camping World Truck Series (NCWTS) UNOH 175. Showing speed in both practice sessions on Friday afternoon, Rhodes backed up his speed in qualifying on Saturday morning, earning the fifth starting position for the 175 lap feature event on Saturday afternoon.
Running solidly inside the top-five for the first 50 laps, crew chief Kevin Bellicourt brought the Sunoco Rookie of the Year contender to pit road, for a scheduled stop under caution, at lap 53, for four tires and fuel. With varying two-tire, and fuel-only pit strategies by the front runners, Rhodes would be forced to restart from the 13th position at lap 57. In the ensuing laps, the ThorSport Racing driver worked his way inside the top-10 by lap 70, and back inside the top-five by lap 110, following his second pit stop, under caution at lap 104, for two tires and fuel. Falling to seventh by lap 128, Bellicourt opted to roll the dice and bring the No. 41 machine to pit road for a final time, under the races eighth and final caution, for four tires and fuel. Restarting 17th with 40 laps remaining, the Louisville, KY native was able to work his way inside the top-10 in the final laps before contact with the 11 truck sent Rhodes spinning, and relegated the ThorSport Racing driver to a 15th-place finish behind race winner, William Byron.
News & Notes:
- The NASCAR Camping World Truck Series (NCWTS) had two practice sessions on Friday in preparation for Saturday’s UNOH 175 at New Hampshire Motor Speedway (NHMS). Ben Rhodes was first, and second, respectively, in both sessions.
- Making his track debut at NHMS in the NCWTS, Rhodes started fifth, ran as high as third, and finished 15th following a last lap spin in the 175-lap event.
- In 17 starts in 2016, Rhodes has led 55 laps en route to two top-five, and five top-10 finishes.
- In 21 career NCWTS starts, Rhodes has one pole (Martinsville), and has led 55 laps en route to three top-five, and eight top-10 finishes.
- Rhodes’ ThorSport Racing teammates finished third (Crafton), 17th (Abreu), and 19th (Hayley).
- Up Next: The DC Solar 350 at Las Vegas Motor Speedway on Saturday, October 1, 2016.