2015 Driver Point Standings: 3rd (-23)
2015 Owner Point Standings: 3rd
Crew Chief: Carl “Junior” Joiner
Sandusky, Ohio (October 27, 2015) – It’s down to the final four races of the 2015 NASCAR Camping World Truck Series (NCWTS) season for Matt Crafton, driver of the No. 88 Fisher Nuts/Menards Toyota Tundra, and after last week’s 24th-place finish, that left the two-time champion third in the championship point standings, the ThorSport Racing driver is ready to clock back in to victory lane at Martinsville Speedway, site of Saturday afternoon’s Kroger 200.
Crafton, who’s goal is to, “go out and win the final four races of the season, and not worry about the points,” is no stranger to getting around the half-mile “paperclip.” In fact, the Menards driver has one win (March, 2014), seven top-five and 15 top-10 finishes. Furthermore, the defending series champion ranks first in Laps in the Top-15 (3570), and Green Flag Passes (599), according to NASCAR’s Loop Data statistics. Additionally, among active series drivers, Crafton has the most starts (27), is tied for the most top-five finishes (7), has the most top-10 finishes (15), has completed the most laps (6010), and has the most lead lap finishes (23).
Crafton, who led 100 of the 258 laps, and finished second to NASCAR Sprint Cup Series regular, Joey Logano, in the Kroger 250 at Martinsville Speedway earlier this season, has his sights set on a “three-peat” in 2015. With a 23-point deficit in the standings, Crafton will need a “repeat” trip to victory lane on Saturday, and his chances look promising this “time” around.
Sounding off – Matt Crafton:
“We’ve always run really well at Martinsville (Speedway). We led a lot of laps there earlier this year, and finished second. The year before, we won. So, hopefully we can go back this time, and redeem ourselves – get another grandfather clock.”
“Our goal, after Talladega, is to go out and win the final four races, and just see what happens with the points. I’m not worried about it.”
News & Notes:
- Chassis Chatter… The No. 88 ThorSport Racing team will utilize chassis No. 43 for Saturday’s Kroger 200 at Martinsville Speedway. This is the same chassis that Crafton piloted to a second-place finish at both Martinsville Speedway, and New Hampshire Motor Speedway in Loudon, earlier this season.
- Martinsville Minute… Crafton will be making his 28th start in Saturday’s Kroger 200 at Martinsville Speedway. In 27 prior starts since 2001, Crafton has led 216 laps en route to one win (March, 2014), seven top-five and 15 top-10 finishes. In fact, the two-time and defending series champion ranks first in Laps in the Top-15 (3570), and Green Flag Passes (599), according to NASCAR’s Loop Data statistics, at the half-mile paperclip. Furthermore, of all active series drivers, Crafton has the most starts (27), tied for the most top-five finishes (7), has the most top-10 finishes (15), has completed the most laps (6010), and has the most lead lap finishes (23).
- 2015 Season Review… In 19 starts this season, Crafton has led 573 laps, a career-best in one season, en route to two poles (Michigan International Speedway and Las Vegas Motor Speedway), four wins (Atlanta Motor Speedway, Kansas Speedway, Texas Motor Speedway, and Kentucky Speedway), 10 top-five, and 15 top-10 finishes. The reigning series champion has completed 2754 of 2824 laps attempted (97.5%), and has an Average Start of 7.0, and an Average Finish of 7.7.
- Previous Race Recap… Crafton started seventh, and led a race-high 43 laps, but debris on the grill of the No. 88 Toyota Tundra on lap 66, of the originally scheduled 94 laps, started a chain of misfortune for the ThorSport Racing team that ultimately ended with a 24th-place finish, two laps down to the race winner.
Crafton’s NCWTS stats at Martinsville:
- 27 starts since 2001
- 6010 of 6181 laps completed (97.2%)
- 216 laps led
- One win (March, 2014)
- Seven top-five finish
- 15 top-10 finishes
- Best start: 1st (October, 2011)
- Average start: 13.0
- Average finish: 11.1
Matt Crafton’s 2014 Highlights:
- Won second consecutive NCWTS championship title to become the first driver in series history to win back-to-back titles
- First career multi-win season with victories at Martinsville (Va.) Speedway and Texas Motor Speedway in Fort Worth
- 10th consecutive full season in second stint with ThorSport Racing
- Earned a series-leading 7.0 average finish
- Career-best 13 top-five finishes and 298 laps led
Crafton’s Career Truck Series Stats:
- 357 starts since 2000
- Nine wins
- 86 top-five finishes
- 207 top-10 finishes
- Nine Poles
- 55,457 laps completed
- 1491 laps led
- Average start: 13.0
- Average finish: 11.5
Date: Saturday, October 31, 2015
Time: 1:30 p.m. ET on FOX Sports 1
Track Details: .526-mile oval
Distance: 200 laps/105.2 miles