Crew Chief: Doug George
Engine: Triad Racing Technologies
2016 Driver Point Standings: 18th
2016 Owner Point Standings: 19th
Sounding Off – Rico Abreu:
How much have you learned about the air in these trucks at the high speed race tracks, like Texas?
“These trucks are very unique with the side drafting, and how aero dependent they are. The noses are big, and there is a ton of side force – with the big right side. It’s tough. It’s about not putting yourself in a bad spot. I feel like we’re getting better, we just need to work on finishing races. I’ve had a lot of speed this year, my goal is just to put these races together. I’m really looking forward to Texas. I feel like it races a lot like a dirt track – open wheel. There are numerous lines to run on, and find some clean air.”
News & Notes:
- Chassis Chatter… The No. 98 ThorSport Racing team will utilize chassis No. 44 for Friday night’s Rattlesnake
- 400 at Texas Motor Speedway (TMS). This is the same chassis Abreu piloted to a 10th-place finish earlier this season at Martinsville Speedway.
- Texas-Sized Debut… Abreu, who will be making his ninth career NASCAR Camping World Truck Series (NCWTS) start on Friday, will make his track debut in the 37th annual Rattlesnake 400 at TMS.
- Rookie Stripe… Abreu, who is competing for Sunoco Rookie of the Year honors in 2016, is currently fifth in the standings after five races this season.
- Off Weekend Fun… Rico raced his 410 Winged Sprint Car during Memorial Day weekend at Wayne County Speedway on Saturday, May 28, finishing first, at Eldora Speedway on May 29 in the Johnny Appleseed Classic, finishing second, and at Lawrenceburg Speedway in the World of Outlaws on May 30, and finished third.
- Race Rewind – Charlotte… Abreu started 10th, a career-best for the Sunoco Rookie of the Year contender, led the 32-truck field once for one lap, his first lap led in his young NCWTS career, and finished 20th in his track debut at CMS.
Abreu’s 2016 NCWTS Stats:
- Starts: 6
- Top-5 Finishes: 0
- Top-10 Finishes: 1
- Best Start: 13th (Dover)
- Best Finish: 10th (Martinsville)
- Laps Completed: 973 of 989 (98.4%)
- Laps Led: 1
- Start: 18.1
- Finish: 19.4
Abreu’s Career NCWTS Stats:
- 8 starts since 2015
- Best start: 13th (Dover, 2015)
- Best finish: 10th (Martinsville, 2016)
Abreu’s Career Stats:
- 2011 360 Winged Sprint Car Series Rookie of the Year
- 2012 won the Trophy Cup at Thunderbowl Raceway
- 2012 USAC National Midget Series Rookie of the Year
- 2013 & 2014 Belleville Midget Nationals Winner
- 2013 4 Crown Nationals Winner at Eldora Speedway
- 2013 & 2014 Johnny Key Classic Winner – One of five drivers to win back-to-back titles
- 2013 USAC Gold Crown Midget Nationals
- 2014 USAC Midget National Champion
- 2015 Chili Bowl Nationals Winner
- 2015 Pepsi Nationals Winner
- 2015 NASCAR K&N Series Most Popular Driver
- 2016 Chili Bowl Nationals Winner