Laps Led: 0
2016 Driver Points: 13th
2016 Owner Points: 15th
Rico Abreu Race Recap:
Rico Abreu, driver of the No. 98 Safelite AutoGlass/Curb Records Toyota Tundra, made his second career start at Phoenix International Raceway (PIR) in Friday night’s NASCAR Camping World Truck Series (NCWTS) Lucas Oil 150. Starting a career-best third, the Sunoco Rookie of the Year contender maintained a position inside the top-10, battling a “loose on entry, and tight off” Toyota Tundra. Just past the halfway mark in the 150-lap event, Abreu made contact with another competitor, causing damage to the right front nose, and tail of the Safelite machine. The ThorSport Racing driver would bring his No. 98 machine to pit road multiple times under the sixth caution of the night, at lap 78, to repair the damage. Restarting 18th, with 66 laps remaining, Abreu would race his way back to an 11th-place finish behind race winner, Daniel Suarez.
The top-15 result was Abreu’s first at PIR, 11th top-15 finish in 22 starts this season, and the 12th of his young NCWTS career.
News & Notes:
- The NASCAR Camping World Truck Series (NCWTS) had two practice sessions on Friday at Phoenix International Raceway (PIR) in preparation for Friday night’s Lucas Oil 150. Rico Abreu was eighth, and 15th, in both sessions, respectively.
- Making his second start at PIR, Abreu started a career-best third, ran as high as third, and finished 11th in the 150-lap event.
- In two starts at PIR, Abreu has one top-15 finish.
- Following Friday night’s Lucas Oil 150, Toyota was able to clinch the 2016 NCWTS manufacturer’s championship – their ninth title in 13 season competing in the series.
- In 22 starts in 2016, Abreu has led one lap en route to two top-five (Eldora & Talladega), and five top-10 finishes.
- In 24 career NCWTS starts, Abreu has led one lap en route to two top-five (Eldora), five top-10, and 11 top-15 finishes.
- Abreu’s ThorSport Racing teammates finished third (Matt Crafton), fourth (Cameron Hayley), and 14th (Ben Rhodes).
- Up Next: The Ford EcoBoost 200 at Homestead-Miami Speedway on Friday, November 18 at 8pm ET.