Laps Led: 0
2016 Driver Points: 13th
2016 Owner Points: 14th
Rico Abreu Race Recap:
Rico Abreu, driver of the No. 98 Safelite/Curb Records Toyota Tundra, made his track debut at Michigan International Speedway (MIS) in Saturday’s NASCAR Camping World Truck Series (NCWTS) Careers for Veterans 200. Showing speed in both practice sessions, Abreu qualified 15th, ran as high as third, and finished 13th.
Starting 15th, Abreu battled a loose Toyota Tundra in the opening laps, but maintained a position inside the top-15 for the races first 30 laps. Crew chief Doug George brought the No. 98 machine to pit road, under the first caution at lap 32, for four tires, and fuel, under the second caution at lap 46, for fuel only, and due to contact on pit road with the 02 truck, George brought the rookie driver back down pit road for a final time under the third caution at lap 52, for fuel only, and to check for damage on the Safelite machine.
Restarting 21st at lap 55, Abreu worked his way up to 18th by lap 60, and stayed out during a caution at lap 64, when most of the leaders opted to pit, allowing the Sunoco Rookie of the Year contender to break into the top-10 by lap 70. With a Tundra that was, “tight in traffic, and wrecking loose off the corners,” Abreu lost track position late in the 100 lap event, but he was able to hold on to a top-15 position, finishing 13th behind race winner, Brett Moffitt.
News & Notes:
- The NASCAR Camping World Truck Series (NCWTS) had two practice sessions on Friday in preparation for the Careers for Veterans 200 at MIS. Abreu was ninth, and fifth, respectively, in both sessions.
- Making his track debut at MIS in the NCWTS, Abreu qualified 15th, ran as high as third, and finished 13th in the rain delayed event.
- In 14 starts in 2016, Abreu has led one lap en route to one top-five (Eldora), and four top-10 finishes.
- In 16 career NCWTS starts, Abreu has led one lap en route to one top-five (Eldora), four top-10, and eight top-15 finishes.
- Abreu’s ThorSport Racing teammates finished fifth (Hayley), sixth (Rhodes), and seventh (Crafton).
- Up Next: The NCWTS 250 at Canadian Tire Motorsports Park on Sunday, September 4, 2016 at 2:30pm ET.