Crew Chief: Doug George
Engine: Triad Racing Technologies
2016 Driver Points: 14th
2016 Owner Points: 15th
Sounding Off – Rico Abreu:
There are three races remaining before the series first ever Chase. Do you feel like you need to be consistent to get in, or do you need a win to get in at this point?
“I feel like you will definitely have to win to get your spot in the Chase. I’ve had a few bad nights where I haven’t been in the best position to get a decent finish, but we’ve been fast, so there’s no doubt in my mind we can’t win in the next three races.”
Aero will obviously be key this weekend given the high speeds. What’s the biggest thing that you’ve learned this year about the aero of these trucks on these bigger race tracks?
“You know, it’s just a matter of getting some clean air on the nose of the truck to help it turn deep into the corner, and not kill all the speed, or the momentum down the straightaway. So, that’s the biggest thing with how big the noses are, how long the right side of the trucks are, and how aerodynamic they are in traffic. Just not putting yourself in a bad position where you could let someone dump that air on your right side, and kill your straightaway speed three trucks behind you, and hog your momentum and going by you. It seems to be all about putting yourself in a good position, make some smart moves and figure out how to pass right away.”
News & Notes:
- Chassis Chatter… The No. 98 ThorSport Racing team will unload chassis No. 55 for Saturday’s Careers for Veterans 200 at Michigan International Speedway (MIS). This is the same chassis Abreu raced to a sixth-place finish earlier this month at Pocono International Raceway.
- Michigan Minute… Abreu, who will be making his 15th career NASCAR Camping World Truck Series (NCWTS) start on Saturday, will also make his track debut at MIS.
- Off-Weekend Success… On Sunday, August 21, Abreu competed at Badlands Motor Speedway in Brandon, SD in his No. 24 Abreu Vineyards 410 Winged Sprint Car, and won. Starting third, Abreu wasted no time taking the lead on the opening lap of the 35 lap Dollar Loan Center Winged Sprint Car A Feature, and then held on en route to a Rock & Roll Gold Cup victory worth $50,000.
- 2016 Dirt Success… In 71 races this season, Abreu has 11 wins, 25 top-five, and 35 top-10 finishes.
- Rookie Stripe… Abreu, who is competing for Sunoco Rookie of the Year honors in 2016, is currently fifth in the standings after 13 races this season.
- Race Rewind – Bristol… Making his track debut at BMS in the NCWTS, Abreu was forced to a back-up truck for the 200-lap event due to a spin in Round 2 of NCWTS qualifying on Wednesday afternoon. Abreu ran as high 12th, and finished 26th.
Abreu’s 2016 NCWTS Stats:
- Starts: 13
- Top-5 Finishes: 1
- Top-10 Finishes: 4
- Best Start: 10th (Charlotte)
- Best Finish: 3rd (Eldora)
- Laps Completed: 2054 of 2076 (98.9%)
- Laps Led: 1 (Charlotte)
- Start: 19.4
- Finish: 15.8
Abreu’s Career NCWTS Stats:
- 15 starts since 2015
- Top-five finishes: 1 (3rd, Eldora, 2016)
- Top-10 finishes: 4
- Laps Led: 1 (Charlotte, 2016)
- Best start: 10th (Charlotte, 2016)
- Best finish: 3rd (Eldora, 2016)
- Average Start: 18.7
- Average Finish: 16.4
2016 Dirt Highlights:
- 71 Total races
- 11 Wins
- 25 Top-5 Finishes
- 35 Top-10 Finishes
- Jan 13 Tulsa, OK – Tulsa Expo Raceway – Preliminary Qualifier Night, 30th Annual Lucas Oil Chili Bowl Nationals – Keith Kunz Motorsports, Midgets.
- Jan 16 Tulsa, OK – Tulsa Expo Raceway – 30th Annual Chili Bowl Feature Event – Keith Kunz Motorsports, Midgets
- April 15 Chico, CA – Silver Dollar Speedway – Abreu Vineyards 410 Winged Sprint Car
- April 15 Placerville, CA – Placerville Speedway – Abreu Vineyards 410 Winged Sprint Car
- May 28 Orrville, OH – Wayne County Speedway – Abreu Vineyards 410 Winged Sprint Car
- June 5 Kokomo, IN – Kokomo Speedway – Keith Kunz Motorsports, Midget
- June 20 Orrville, OH – Wayne County Speedway – Abreu Vineyards 410 Winged Sprint Car
- July 23 Kokomo, IN – Kokomo Speedway – Abreu Vineyards 410 Winged Sprint Car
- August 6, Pevely, MO – Federated Auto Parts Raceway at I-55 – 410 Winged Sprint Car
- August 12, Knoxville, IA – Qualifying Night, 56th Annual Knoxville Nationals – 410 Winged Sprint Car
- August 21, Brandon, SD – Badlands Motor Speedway – Abreu Vineyards 410 Winged Sprint Car
Abreu’s Career Stats:
- 2011 360 Winged Sprint Car Series Rookie of the Year
- 2012 won the Trophy Cup at Thunderbowl Raceway
- 2012 USAC National Midget Series Rookie of the Year
- 2013 & 2014 Belleville Midget Nationals Winner
- 2013 4 Crown Nationals Winner at Eldora Speedway
- 2013 & 2014 Johnny Key Classic Winner – One of five drivers to win back-to-back titles
- 2013 USAC Gold Crown Midget Nationals
- 2014 USAC Midget National Champion
- 2015 Chili Bowl Nationals Winner
- 2015 Pepsi Nationals Winner
- 2015 NASCAR K&N Series Most Popular Driver
- 2016 Chili Bowl Nationals Winner