Crew Chief: Doug George
Engine: Triad Racing Technologies
2016 Driver Point Standings: 16th
2016 Owner Point Standings: 17th
Sounding Off – Rico Abreu:
Gateway has two flat corners. Would you say it’s similar to New Hampshire, a track you have raced at?
“Yeah, those types of tracks are all about having maximum amount of roll speed, and maximum amount of turn. So, you gotta be able to have a lot of roll speed, and turn at the same time. I believe we’ll be downshifting into Turn 1 from fourth gear, to third gear, and then back to fourth gear down the backstretch. Although I’ve never raced at Gateway, I kind of have a good sensation of what to do, just from getting laps in on iRacing, and talking with my teammate, Matt Crafton, who has had a lot of experience there. He should’ve won the race last year, from the videos I’ve seen, so it’ll be interesting, and it’ll help my road course experience on the downshifting side.”
News & Notes:
- Chassis Chatter… The No. 98 ThorSport Racing team will unload chassis No. 42 for Saturday night’s Drivin’ for Linemen 200 at Gateway Motorsports Park. This is the same chassis that Abreu raced to a 20th-place finish earlier this season at Charlotte Motor Speedway, and has been rebuilt since.
- “Show Me” State Stats… Abreu, who will be making his 11th career NASCAR Camping World Truck Series (NCWTS) start on Saturday, will make his track debut in Saturday’s 160-lap event at Gateway Motorsports Park.
- Dirt Trackin’… Abreu spent the week between Iowa and Gateway competing in his 410 Winged Sprint Car in Ohio. On Monday night, the ThorSport Racing driver raced at Wayne County Speedway in Orrville, Sharon Speedway in Hartford (Tuesday), and Atomic Speedway in Chillicothe (Wednesday).
- Rookie Stripe… Abreu, who is competing for Sunoco Rookie of the Year honors in 2016, is currently fifth in the standings after eight races this season.
- Race Rewind – Iowa… Making his track debut at Iowa Speedway in the NCWTS, Abreu started 14th, battled a loose Toyota Tundra throughout the 200-lap event, and finished 18th.
Abreu’s 2016 NCWTS Stats:
- Starts: 8
- Top-5 Finishes: 0
- Top-10 Finishes: 2
- Best Start: 13th (Dover)
- Best Finish: 9th (Texas, June)
- Laps Completed: 1340 of 1356 (98.8%)
- Laps Led: 1
- Start: 18.0
- Finish: 17.6
Abreu’s Career NCWTS Stats:
- 10 starts since 2015
- 2 top-five finishes
- Best start: 13th (Dover, 2015)
- Best finish: 9th (Texas, June)
Abreu’s Career Stats:
- 2011 360 Winged Sprint Car Series Rookie of the Year
- 2012 won the Trophy Cup at Thunderbowl Raceway
- 2012 USAC National Midget Series Rookie of the Year
- 2013 & 2014 Belleville Midget Nationals Winner
- 2013 4 Crown Nationals Winner at Eldora Speedway
- 2013 & 2014 Johnny Key Classic Winner – One of five drivers to win back-to-back titles
- 2013 USAC Gold Crown Midget Nationals
- 2014 USAC Midget National Champion
- 2015 Chili Bowl Nationals Winner
- 2015 Pepsi Nationals Winner
- 2015 NASCAR K&N Series Most Popular Driver
- 2016 Chili Bowl Nationals Winner