Crew Chief: Doug George
Engine: Triad Racing Technologies
2016 Driver Point Standings: 14th
2016 Owner Point Standings: 16th
Sounding Off – Rico Abreu:
What are your expectations going into Eldora? You’ve raced the track numerous times, but this will be the first time you’ve raced there in the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series.
“I’m really looking forward to Eldora. I’ve had some success there in the winged sprint cars, and midgets, so it will be nice to get on familiar ground and have some fun. I’m racing in the Kings Royal the weekend before, and I’ve just got a lot of laps there in a sprint car, so it will be a little easier for me to read a dirt track right now, and hopefully get up to speed faster. I’ve struggled reading asphalt tracks this year. My sponsor, Safelite, is based in Columbus (Ohio), so there will be a lot of people there supporting me and my ThorSport Racing team, so my plan is to have some fun, and hopefully it’ll be a good opportunity to get in the chase.”
News & Notes:
- Chassis Chatter… The No. 98 ThorSport Racing team will unload chassis No. 39 for Wednesday night’s Aspen Dental Eldora Dirt Derby at Eldora Speedway. This is the same chassis that Abreu raced at Atlanta Motor Speedway earlier this season, finishing 11th.
- Kings Royal… Abreu raced in the 33rd Annual Kings Royal July 14-16 at Eldora Speedway. The two-time Chili Bowl Nationals winner finished third in the Jokers Wild on Thursday night, July 14, third in the Knight Before the Kings Royal on Friday, July 15, and an event-best second in the Kings Royal on Saturday night, July 16.
- Eldora Dirt… Although Abreu will be making his debut on the half-mile Eldora dirt track in the NCWTS on Wednesday night, the accomplished dirt driver has had some prior success at the Rossburg, Ohio track. In 2013 Abreu won the USAC National Dirt Midget race as part of the “4 Crown” weekend at the “Big E” (Sept.), and the All Star Circuit of Champions UNOH Sprintacular in a 410 winged sprint car in 2014 (Oct.).
- Safelite Ride Along… On Monday, July 18 Abreu went for a “Ride Along” with a Safelite technician, and surprised NASCAR fans in the Columbus, Ohio area who needed to get their windshield’s repaired. Safelite AutoGlass, based in Columbus, Ohio, has 6,500 MobileGlassShops and repair facilities across the U.S. can fix your glass at a location convenient to you.
- 2016 Dirt Success… In 59 races this season, Abreu has seven wins, 19 top-five, and 25 top-10 finishes.
- Rookie Stripe… Abreu, who is competing for Sunoco Rookie of the Year honors in 2016, is currently fifth in the standings after 10 races this season.
- Race Rewind – Kentucky… Making his track debut at Kentucky Speedway in the NCWTS, Abreu started 21st, ran as high as 13th, and finished 15th.
Abreu’s 2016 NCWTS Stats:
- Starts: 10
- Top-5 Finishes: 0
- Top-10 Finishes: 2
- Best Start: 13th (Dover)
- Best Finish: 9th (Texas, June)
- Laps Completed: 1650 of 1666 (99.0%)
- Laps Led: 1
- Start: 18.8
- Finish: 17.0
Abreu’s Career NCWTS Stats:
- 12 starts since 2015
- 2 top-five finishes
- Best start: 13th (Dover, 2015)
- Best finish: 9th (Texas, June, 2016)
- Average Start: 18.0
- Average Finish: 17.6
2016 Dirt Highlights:
- 59 Total races
- 7 Wins
- 19 Top-5 Finishes
- 25 Top-10 Finishes
- Jan 13 Tulsa, OK – Tulsa Expo Raceway – Preliminary Qualifier Night, 30th Annual Lucas Oil Chili Bowl Nationals – Keith Kunz Motorsports, Midgets.
- Jan 16 Tulsa, OK – Tulsa Expo Raceway – 30th Annual Chili Bowl Feature Event – Keith Kunz Motorsports, Midgets
- April 15 Chico, CA – Silver Dollar Speedway – Abreu Vineyards 410 Winged Sprint Car
- April 15 Placerville, CA – Placerville Speedway – Abreu Vineyards 410 Winged Sprint Car
- May 28 Orrville, OH – Wayne County Speedway – Abreu Vineyards 410 Winged Sprint Car
- June 5 Kokomo, IN – Kokomo Speedway – Keith Kunz Motorsports, Midget
- June 20 Orrville, OH – Wayne County Speedway – Abreu Vineyards 410 Winged Sprint Car