Crew Chief: Doug George
Engine: Triad Racing Technologies
2016 Driver Points: 14th
2016 Owner Points: 15th
Sounding Off – Rico Abreu:
What are your thoughts on your mile-and-a-half program so far this season? It seems like every time you get in a truck on these high speed ovals, Texas comes to mind, you’re more and more comfortable. Are you leaning on a lot of that knowledge going into Chicago this weekend?
“Yeah, I think so. The mile-and-a-half tracks have been a little better to us. We’ve had some decent finishes, and good speed, so I’m looking forward to Chicago. And you know, if I don’t make it in the Chase, I’m not too worried, to be honest. I just want to get my guys some good finishes, and hopefully get a win by the end of the year.”
News & Notes:
- Chassis Chatter… The No. 98 ThorSport Racing team will unload chassis No. 52 for Friday night’s American Ethanol E15 225 at Chicagoland Speedway. This is the same chassis Abreu raced at Dover International Speedway (May), finishing 22nd. It has since been rebuilt, and will make its “Windy City” debut Friday night.
- Windy City Debut… Abreu, who will be making his 18th career NASCAR Camping World Truck Series (NCWTS) start on Friday, will also make his track debut at the 1.5-mile tri-oval.
- Chase Status – One to Go… With only one race remaining until the cut-off for the inaugural NCWTS Chase, Abreu, who is 14th in points, will have to earn his career-first win at Chicagoland Speedway on Friday night. Fortunately for Abreu, four different NCWTS drivers have claimed their career-first wins in 2016.
- Intermediate Track Stats…In six career NASCAR Camping World Truck Series (NCWTS) starts on an Intermediate-style track, Abreu has one top-10 (Texas), and three top-15 finishes.
- 2016 Dirt Success… In 77 races this season, Abreu has 12 wins, 26 top-five, and 38 top-10 finishes.
- Off-Weekend Success… Abreu was a feature winner at Silver Dollar Speedway in Chico, CA on September 10 in his Abreu Vineyards 410 Winged Sprint Car.
- Rookie Stripe… Abreu, who is competing for Sunoco Rookie of the Year honors in 2016, is currently fifth in the standings after 15 races this season.
- Race Rewind – Canada… Making his track debut at CTMP in the NCWTS, Abreu qualified 19th, ran as high as 10th, and finished 27th, due to an accident on lap 52 of 66.
Abreu’s 2016 NCWTS Stats:
- Starts: 15
- Top-5 Finishes: 1
- Top-10 Finishes: 4
- Best Start: 10th (Charlotte)
- Best Finish: 3rd (Eldora)
- Laps Completed: 2206 of 2242 (98.4%)
- Laps Led: 1 (Charlotte)
- Start: 19.1
- Finish: 16.3
Abreu’s Career NCWTS Stats:
- 17 starts since 2015
- Top-5 finishes: 1 (3rd, Eldora, 2016)
- Top-10 finishes: 4
- Laps Led: 1 (Charlotte, 2016)
- Laps Completed: 2384
- Best start: 10th (Charlotte, 2016)
- Average Start: 18.5
- Average Finish: 16.8
2016 Dirt Highlights:
- 77 Total races
- 12 Wins
- Top-5 Finishes: 26
- Top-10 Finishes: 38
- Jan 13 Tulsa, OK – Tulsa Expo Raceway – Preliminary Qualifier Night, 30th Annual Lucas Oil Chili Bowl Nationals – Keith Kunz Motorsports, Midgets.
- Jan 16 Tulsa, OK – Tulsa Expo Raceway – 30th Annual Chili Bowl Feature Event – Keith Kunz Motorsports, Midgets
- April 15 Chico, CA – Silver Dollar Speedway – Abreu Vineyards 410 Winged Sprint Car
- April 15 Placerville, CA – Placerville Speedway – Abreu Vineyards 410 Winged Sprint Car
- May 28 Orrville, OH – Wayne County Speedway – Abreu Vineyards 410 Winged Sprint Car
- June 5 Kokomo, IN – Kokomo Speedway – Keith Kunz Motorsports, Midget
- June 20 Orrville, OH – Wayne County Speedway – Abreu Vineyards 410 Winged Sprint Car
- July 23 Kokomo, IN – Kokomo Speedway – Abreu Vineyards 410 Winged Sprint Car
- August 6, Pevely, MO – Federated Auto Parts Raceway at I-55 – 410 Winged Sprint Car
- August 12, Knoxville, IA – Qualifying Night, 56th Annual Knoxville Nationals – 410 Winged Sprint Car
- August 21, Brandon, SD – Badlands Motor Speedway – Abreu Vineyards 410 Winged Sprint Car
- September 10, 2016 Chico, CA – Silver Dollar Speedway – Abreu Vineyards 410 Winged Sprint Car
Abreu’s Career Stats:
- 2011 360 Winged Sprint Car Series Rookie of the Year
- 2012 won the Trophy Cup at Thunderbowl Raceway
- 2012 USAC National Midget Series Rookie of the Year
- 2013 & 2014 Belleville Midget Nationals Winner
- 2013 4 Crown Nationals Winner at Eldora Speedway
- 2013 & 2014 Johnny Key Classic Winner – One of five drivers to win back-to-back titles
- 2013 USAC Gold Crown Midget Nationals
- 2014 USAC Midget National Champion
- 2015 Chili Bowl Nationals Winner
- 2015 Pepsi Nationals Winner
- 2015 NASCAR K&N Series Most Popular Driver
- 2016 Chili Bowl Nationals Winner
Date: Friday, September 16, 2016
Time: 8:30pm ET on FOX Sports 1, MRN Radio & SiriusXM Channel 90
Track: 1.5-mile Tri-Oval
Distance: 150 laps/225 miles