Laps Led: 0
2016 Driver Points: 14th
2016 Owner Points: 15th
Rico Abreu Race Recap:
Rico Abreu, driver of the No. 98 Safelite/Curb Records Toyota Tundra, made his track debut in Sunday’s NASCAR Camping World Truck Series (NCWTS) event at Canadian Tire Motorsports Park (CTMP). Starting 19th, the ThorSport Racing driver ran as high as 10th, but was credited with a 27th-place finish, and ultimately a DNF, due to an accident on lap 52 of 66 that resulted in heavy damage to his Safelite Toyota Tundra.
Starting 19th, Abreu maintained a position inside the top-20 through the first nine laps of the race before coming down pit road under the first caution, for fuel only. Unfortunately, the Safelite Tundra would be forced to restart the race from the tail end of the longest line, in the 26th position, at the lap 11 restart, due to removing the fuel can from his pit stall during the pit stop. Over the ensuing 24 laps, the Sunoco Rookie of the Year contender worked his way into the top-10, before coming to pit road under green, at lap 35, for a scheduled stop for four tires and fuel. Running inside the top-20, Abreu made his way into the top-10 by lap 50, before an accident in Turn 5 on lap 52 caused heavy damage to the No. 98 machine, forcing the Safelite driver behind the wall for the remainder of the event. Abreu was credited with a 27th-place finish behind race winner, John Hunter Nemechek.
Rico Abreu Quote:
“I feel really bad that I hit Cameron (Hayley), just wheel hopped really bad there. It’s just part of road course racing, it can get out of your control. I’m nowhere near as experienced, and I hit Cameron in the right rear. I feel really bad for these ThorSport guys. I’m trying really hard, and I just think at the end of the day, I’m trying too hard. I hope I can get them a good finish at Chicagoland.”
News & Notes:
- The NASCAR Camping World Truck Series (NCWTS) had two practice sessions on Saturday in preparation for Sunday’s NCWTS race at CTMP. Rico Abreu was 19th, and 21st, respectively, in both sessions.
- Making his track debut at CTMP in the NCWTS, Abreu qualified 19th, ran as high as 10th, and finished 27th, due to an accident on lap 52 of 66.
- In 15 starts in 2016, Abreu has led one lap en route to one top-five (Eldora), and four top-10 finishes.
- In 17 career NCWTS starts, Abreu has led one lap en route to one top-five (Eldora), four top-10, and eight top-15 finishes.
- Abreu’s ThorSport Racing teammates finished fourth (Crafton), ninth (Hayley), and 30th (Rhodes).
- Up Next: The American Ethanol E15 225 at Chicagoland Speedway on Friday, September 16, 2016.