2015 Driver Point Standings: 7th
2015 Owner Point Standings: 10th
Crew Chief: Jeff Hensley
Sandusky, Ohio (May 26, 2015) – Overcoming the learning curve of racing at Charlotte (N.C.) Motor Speedway for the first time two weeks ago, Sunoco Rookie of the Year contender Cameron Hayley drove his way to a 14th-place finish, his fourth top-15 of the 2015 NASCAR Camping World Truck Series (NCWTS) season and seventh of his career.
Turning his focus to the fastest one-mile track on the NCWTS circuit, Dover (Del.) International Speedway, the 18-year-old rookie is optimistic as he heads to familiar territory for the first time this season. Although Hayley will be making his sixth track debut of 2015 behind the wheel of his No. 13 Carolina Nut Co. Toyota Tundra, the ThorSport Racing driver has previous experience on Dover’s high banks in the NASCAR K&N Pro Series East. In 2014, Hayley started second, and led 53 laps, until a flat right front tire late in the race left the Canadian driver mired two laps down, relegating him to a 13th-place finish.
Using his previous track experience, partnered with a recent rookie test at the “Monster Mile,” the ThorSport Racing driver is eager to put his new knowledge to the test and chase after his first NCWTS win in Friday’s Lucas Oil 200.
Sounding off – Cameron Hayley:
“We learned a ton at Dover during the test; it’s such a fast place. There’s so much load on the tires that it’s fairly comparable to the mile-and-half stuff. We were able to learn little things here and there setup-wise, that I think can help us a lot. It should be a good race for us.”
“I was kind of thrown to the ‘monster’ and expected to survive last year. Our practice day got rained out and we had 45 minutes on the track to be fast. We ended up third in practice, qualified second and led the first half of the race, lapping up to fifth. Unfortunately, I got a flat right front tire late in the race, had to come in to pit and restarted 15th, two laps down. I actually passed the leader coming to the checkered flag, which was a huge accomplishment, but I was still mired a lap down and finished 13th.”
News & Notes:
- Chassis Chatter… The No. 13 ThorSport Racing team will unload chassis No. 38 for Friday night’s NC Education Lottery 200. This is the same chassis Hayley piloted to a 14th-place finish at Atlanta (Ga.) Motor Speedway in March and Charlotte Motor Speedway earlier this year.
- Testing, 1, 2, 3, Testing… Hayley, a 2015 Sunoco Rookie of the Year contender, participated in a rookie test at Dover in April. Teammate and two-time champion, Matt Crafton, was on hand to mentor the rookie around the “Monster Mile.”
- Previous Dover Success… Piloting a NASCAR K&N Pro Series East car in last year’s race at Dover International Speedway, Hayley started second, led 53 laps and finished 13th.
- Rookie Race… Hayley is currently third in the 2015 Sunoco Rookie of the Year battle after five races this season. The ThorSport Racing driver is a single point behind second-place Justin Boston and both trail leader, Erik Jones.
- Previous Race Recap… Finishing both NCWTS practice sessions at Charlotte Motor Speedway in the top-15, Hayley qualified 13th and fought his way to a 14th-place finish in the NC Education Lottery 200 at Charlotte Motor Speedway.
- Peanuts & Racing – A uniquely Southern Combination… The Carolina Nut Co., which specializes in unique flavored nuts, flavored peanuts, spicy nuts and candied nuts, will be back on board the No. 13 Toyota Tundra for the second consecutive race of 2015. The brand, which has 13 unique flavors of peanuts to choose from, including Carolina BBQ, Dill Pickle and Honey Roasted Chipotle, and can be purchased through your local retailer, or online at CarolinaNut.com.
Hayley’s Truck Series Stats:
- Eight starts since 2014
- One top-five finish
- Three top-10 finishes
- First start: Canadian Tire Motorsport Park
- Best start: 2nd (Loudon, 2014)
- Best finish: 5th (Kansas, 2015)
- Has completed 1127 of 1180 laps attempted (95.51%)
- Average start: 7.2
- Average finish: 13.4
Hayley’s NCWTS Performance Profile:
Date: Friday, May 29, 2015
Time: 5:30 p.m. ET on FOX Sports 1
Track Details: 1-mile oval
Distance: 200 laps/200 miles
Team Website: www.ThorSport.com
Driver Website: www.CameronHayley.com
Sponsor Website: www.CabinetsbyHayley.com
Social Media: @ThorSportRacing, @CameronNHayley, @HayleyCabinets