2015 Driver Point Standings: 6th
2015 Owner Point Standings: 8th
Crew Chief: Jeff Hensley
Sandusky, Ohio (September 14, 2015) – Coming off his eighth top-10 finish of the 2015 NASCAR Camping World Truck Series (NCWTS) season in his home country of Canada, Sunoco Rookie of the Year contender Cameron Hayley is ready to keep his success alive when he heads to Chicagoland Speedway in Joliet, Ill. for the first time in his young career, for the American Ethanol 225, Friday night.
Making his 13th different track debut of 2015 this weekend, the ThorSport Racing driver recently had the opportunity to partake in a rookie test at the 1.5-mile D-shaped tri-oval in the “Windy City.” Pairing his previous knowledge of mile-and-a-half tracks and his recent time at Chicagoland Speedway, Hayley hopes to pilot his No. 13 Carolina Nut Co. Toyota Tundra to the front of the pack in the 7th annual event.
Sitting sixth in the NCWTS driver point standings, and third overall in the Sunoco Rookie of the Year battle, the 19-year-old driver has led the ultra-competitive NCWTS field for a total of 54 laps, including 13 laps during the series’ last stop on the circuit at Canadian Tire Motorsport Park in Bowmanville, Ontario. Hayley hopes to lead the lap that matters most, the last one, at the end of Friday night’s 150-lap event.
Sounding off – Cameron Hayley:
“I’ve never raced at Chicagoland Speedway before in my career, but thankfully I was able to be apart of the rookie test last week. It’s definitely a very worn out race track. I can tell that it’s going to be completely opposite of Michigan, where you have all the grip in the world. Chicagoland is going to be more about forward drive off the corners. Even with the rookie test, I still have a little bit of learning left to do this weekend, but hopefully we can get up to speed quickly.”
News & Notes:
- 2015 Chassis Chatter… The No. 13 ThorSport Racing team will utilize chassis No. 53 for Friday night’s American Ethanol 225 at Chicagoland Speedway. This particular chassis was last seen earlier in 2015 at Kentucky Speedway in Sparta, finishing 9th, and Pocono (Pa.) Raceway, where Hayley finished a career-best fourth.
- Windy City Stats… Hayley will make his 13th NCWTS track debut of 2015 at Chicagoland Speedway on Friday night. Before 2015, Hayley had experience on three NCWTS tracks on the 2015 schedule; Canadian Tire Motorsports Park, Texas Motor Speedway and New Hampshire Motor Speedway.
- Season Review… After 15 races this season, Hayley has completed 2135 of 2255 laps attempted (94.6%) and led 54 laps en route to three top-five and eight top-10 finishes.
- Rookie Race… Hayley is currently third in the 2015 Sunoco Rookie of the Year battle, a mere eight points behind second-place Daniel Hemric. Both rookie contenders are chasing leader, Erik Jones, after 15 races this season.
- Previous Race Recap… Returning to his home country for the second time in his NCWTS career, Hayley qualified seventh for the NCWTS 250 at Canadian Tire Motorsport Park. With various pit strategies playing out, the 19-year-old driver led 13 laps early on in the 64-lap event, and eventually was relegated to a seventh-place finish, his eighth top-10 finish of the season.
Hayley’s Truck Series Stats:
- 18 starts since 2014
- Three top-five finishes
- 10 top-10 finishes
- First start: Canadian Tire Motorsport Park
- Best start: 2nd (Loudon, 2014)
- Best finish: 4th (Pocono, 2015)
- Has completed 2526 of 2646 laps attempted (95.4%)
- Average start: 8.1
- Average finish: 11.2
Hayley’s NCWTS Performance Profile:
Date: Friday, September 18, 2015
Time: 8:30 p.m. ET on FOX Sports 1
Track Details: 1.5-mile D-shaped Tri-oval
Distance: 150 laps/225 miles