Team Information:Crew Chief: Eddie Troconis
Engine: Triad Racing Technologies
2016 Driver Points: 11th
2016 Owner Points: 12th
Sounding Off – Cameron Hayley:
You were competitive at Martinsville in the spring. What did you learn that you can apply to the race this weekend?
“We were really good at Martinsville earlier this year, battling with Kyle Busch for the lead. We had a strong Tundra all race long, but had a bad pit call at the end. I mean, Eddie (Troconis, crew chief) is doing a great job this year, and I don’t envy his job at all, but we definitely learned a couple things about pit strategy. We’ll take what we learned from there, we know we had a great truck, and we’ll bring back the same package we had in the spring, and hopefully we’ll be just as good.”
Is Martinsville a physically demanding track?
“Oh, for sure, and it’s also mentally draining as well. The thing about Martinsville, which I sometimes compare to Talladega, although they are completely different tracks, size-wise, is at Talladega you never know when somebody will wreck you, or you can be in a wreck. It’s the same thing at Martinsville. You never know when someone is going to drive in the corner, lose brakes, wheel hop, and hit you, ruining your day. At Talladega, you are in a pack of trucks and one slip-up by another driver could take out 10 trucks, or you can be leading at Talladega and someone run into you from behind. Martinsville is the same animal, but different. The track is so tight that there is a lot of beating and banging, and emotions. You have to stay calm, but it’s just really difficult as a driver because you never know what other drivers are going to do. If something goes wrong at Martinsville, you really don’t have a lot of options to escape the carnage. You could have a perfect day going, and one driver makes a mistake, and your done.”
News & Notes:
- Chassis Chatter…The No. 13 ThorSport Racing team will unload chassis No. 37 for Saturday’s NASCAR Camping World Truck Series (NCWTS) Texas Roadhouse 200 at Martinsville Speedway. This particular chassis has been run four times in 2016, earning three top-five starting positions, one top-five finish (Iowa), and two top-10 finishes.
- Martinsville Minute… Hayley has made three starts at Martinsville Speedway since 2015. His success includes one top-five (October, 2015), and two top-10 finishes. Additionally, among active series drivers, the ThorSport Racing driver has the best average start (3.0) of any driver entered in Saturday’s 200-lap event.
- In the Loop – Martinsville… According to NASCAR’s Loop Data statistics, Hayley is scored first in Green Flag Speed, and second in Average Running Position (4.9), and Driver Rating (113.8).
- Martinsville Rewind – April, 2016… Hayley started fourth, his third top-five starting position in three career starts at Martinsville Speedway, led the field once for 11 laps, and finished ninth.
- Rearview Mirror – Talladega… Making his second NCWTS start at Talladega Superspeedway, Hayley started 20th, ran as high as fifth, and finished 19th, following a last-lap accident involving the 02 truck.
Hayley’s Martinsville NCWTS Stats:
- Starts: 3 since 2015
- Top-Five Finishes: 1 (October, 2015)
- Top-10 Finishes: 2
- Laps Led: 11 (April, 2016)
- Laps Completed: 713 of 713 (100%)
- Best Start: 2nd (October, 2015)
- Best Finish: 3rd (October, 2015)
- Average Start: 3.0
- Average Finish: 7.7
Hayley’s 2016 NCWTS Stats:
- Starts: 19
- Top-5 Finishes: 5
- Top-10 Finishes: 9
- Best Start: 2nd (Iowa Speedway)
- Best Finish: 2nd (Atlanta & Pocono)
- Lap Completed: 2778 of 2808 (98.9%)
- Laps Led: 21
- Average Start: 10.8
- Average Finish: 12.9
Hayley’s Career NCWTS Stats:
- Starts: 45 since 2014
- First full-time season: 2015
- Top-5 Finishes: 9
- Top-10 Finishes: 24
- Laps Completed: 6499
- Laps Led: 99
- Start: 9.2
- Finish: 11.7
- Best start: 2nd, Loudon (2014), Martinsville (Oct., 2015), and Iowa (2016)
- Best finish: 2nd, Atlanta Motor Speedway & Pocono International Raceway (2016)
Hayley’s 2015 NCWTS Stats:
- Finished sixth in the driver point standings
- Sunoco Rookie of the Year contender
- Top-5 Finishes: 4
- Top-10 Finishes: 13
- 78 laps led
- Best start: 2nd (Martinsville, October)
- Best finish: 3rd (Martinsville, October)
Date: Saturday, October 29, 2016
Time: 1:30pm ET on FOX, MRN Radio & SiriusXM Channel 90
Track: .526-mile paperclip
Distance: 200 laps/105.2-miles