Laps Led: 0
2016 Driver Points: 11th
2016 Owner Points: 11th
Cameron Hayley Race Recap:
Cameron Hayley, driver of the No. 13 Cabinets by Hayley Toyota Tundra, made his second NASCAR Camping World Truck Series (NCWTS) start at Kentucky Speedway in Thursday night’s Buckle Up In Your Truck 225. Starting a track-best 11th, for the 19th annual event, the Calgary, Alberta, Canada native ran as high as fourth, but maintained an average running position of 8.5 throughout the 150-lap event to bring home a track-best sixth-place finish.
Starting 11th, Hayley was able to maintain a position inside the top-15 through the first-half of the event, complaining of a Toyota Tundra that was, “loose in traffic.” With a plethora of pit strategies up and down pit road throughout the race, crew chief Eddie Troconis brought the No. 13 machine to pit road under the first caution at lap 27, for four tires, and fuel, and lap 58 for fuel only, in an effort to gain track position. Restarting ninth at lap 64, Hayley’s Tundra became “tight at both ends” of the race track during the ensuing run, but the sophomore driver was able to maintain his position inside the top-10 through the final pit stop of the night at lap 105. Taking four tires, and fuel, Hayley restarted ninth, and in the ensuing 42 laps, worked his way up to finish sixth behind race winner, William Byron.
Hayley’s top-10 result allowed the ThorSport Racing driver to gain two positions in the 2016 NCWTS driver point standings. The Cabinets by Hayley driver is now 11th, a mere seven points outside the top-10, behind teammate Ben Rhodes.
How does it feel to get a solid top-10 finish tonight?
“It was definitely an improvement – we didn’t wreck, which was a bonus. Not a bad day, not a great day. We’ll take it.”
News & Notes:
- The NASCAR Camping World Truck Series (NCWTS) had two practice sessions on Wednesday in preparation for Thursday night’s Buckle Up In Your Truck 225 at Kentucky Speedway. Hayley was 12th, and ninth, respectively, in both sessions.
- Making his second start at Kentucky Speedway in the NCWTS, Hayley started 11th, ran as high as fourth, and finished a track-best sixth.
- In 2016, Hayley has led 21 laps en route to two top-five (Atlanta & Iowa), and four top-10 finishes.
- In 36 career NCWTS starts, Hayley has led 99 laps en route to six top-five and 19 top-10 finishes.
- Hayley’s ThorSport Racing teammates finished eighth (Crafton), 13th (Rhodes), and 15th (Abreu).
- Up Next: The Aspen Dental 150 at Eldora Speedway on Wednesday, July 20, 2016.