Sounding Off – Ben Rhodes:
You had a strong run at Kansas last year. Are you looking forward to getting back there?
“Kansas Speedway is a really smooth and fast racetrack. It’s one of my favorite mile-and-a-half tracks. We struggled in practice last year, but turned our weekend around for the race, and competed for the win. I’m hoping this year we can eliminate our practice struggles, and can come out on top.”
What did you learn at the Charlotte test that can help you in Kansas this weekend?
“The Charlotte test was greatly beneficial to our program. We made some serious gains on our current setup and found a new one as well to make our Safelite Tundra even quicker. I’m really excited to see how my ThorSport Racing team has improved upon our setups when we get to Kansas.”
News & Notes:
- Chassis Information…The No. 27 ThorSport Racing (TSR) team will utilize chassis No. 35 for Friday night’s Toyota Tundra 250 at Kansas Speedway in Kansas City, KS. This is the same chassis teammate Matt Crafton drove to victory lane in 2015, and former TSR driver, Cameron Hayley piloted to three top-five finishes in 2016.
- Take me back – Kansas, 2016… Making his track debut, Rhodes started 10th, led the field three times for five laps, and finished 18th, after making contact with the No. 21 machine on the last lap as both drivers were going for the lead, and ultimately the race win.
- Acceleration Nation… Prior to making his second start at Kansas Speedway on Friday, Rhodes will visit Prairie Star Elementary school on Wednesday afternoon, with teammate Cody Coughlin, as part of the NASCAR Acceleration Nation program. The duo will talk to 490 students, from kindergarten to fifth-grade, about aerodynamics and energy in racing.
- World Vision… In advance of Mother’s Day, Rhodes, along with his TSR teammates are working with Toyota Racing and the Kansas City Toyota region, to support the efforts of World Vision in the Kansas City community. The drivers will assemble women’s hope kits, on Thursday afternoon, that will be delivered to several local charities.
- Rearview Mirror – Martinsville… The ThorSport Racing driver started 17th, ran as high as ninth, and finished 20th.
- Catch Ben in Kansas… On Friday, May 12, Rhodes, along with his TSR teammates, will be at Toyota Pit Pass in the Fan Midway from 1:30-1:50pm CT, and will participate in the NCWTS autograph session in the Fan Zone from 2:00-2:45pm CT on Friday, May 12.
Rhodes Career Kansas Stats:
- Starts: 1 (2016)
- Started: 10th
- Finished: 18th
- Laps Completed: 169 of 170 (99.4%)
- Laps Led: 5
Rhodes Career NCWTS stats:
- Starts: 30 since 2014
- First Full-time Season: 2016
- Poles: 1 (Martinsville-1, 2016)
- Top-5 Finishes: 4
- Top-10 Finishes: 9
- Laps Completed: 4392
- Laps Led: 75
- First Start: Martinsville-1, 2014 (8th)
- Best Finish: 2nd; Gateway
- Start: 9.9
- Finish: 14.9